Monday, June 7, 2010

Everyone Loves a Quickie...

I hope you dont think I was ignoring you... The month of Sept and the month of May always prove to be very busy when you have kiddies in the house. There are 3 of them in my house. I will not bore you with the ins and outs of parenthood in the 21st century. As busy as I would try to make you think I am, I still managed to read a lot. I did not however, tell any of you about the books I read. So here they are briefly:

My Lobotomy by Howard Dully. My sister in law, Suzi, recommended this book to me. I was lucky enough to find it in my library on the shelf! No waiting...Very touching memoir of a man who was given a transorbital lobotomy at the age of 12.

Push by Sapphire. This is the story that the movie "Precious" was based on. It is written as a memoir by a skillful poet. I will tell you it is very difficult to read because of the content but the author truly gives hope to a life that is just shattered with abuse. After getting thru this book and "My Lobotomy", I truly felt lucky to have been raised by the family that adopted me. I am not sure what my life would have been like. I will always be grateful to my family. My parents are now both deceased. And even though I didnt always show it when I was younger, I was able to express to them how lucky I felt during my childhood...

The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz. This is book number 4 in a fun series. If you havent read any of these, summer is the perfect time to start from the beginning of the series. A fun, quick and addictive read that will survive the noise and activity of a rec center or yardful of children. Join Izzy, Rae and the rest of this family of Private Investigators snoop around another case...

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. This is my favorite of the last few books I have read. My friend Kate Bernardo recommended this one to me. We tend to enjoy the same types of books. It is a story of a First Lady. It takes only a few sentences to realize its Laura Bush. It is, of course, fiction. And the names and places have been changed to protect "the innocent" shall we say...It is a great book and I loved it. The author did great research on the lives of American First Ladies. No matter what your politics may entail, you realize that we all start out as two people in a relationship and we try to share a life together...

Well thats it for now. I have still been going to the movies. I started reviewing movies with a local comic here in town. We record the reviews and he puts them on his youtube page. I have linked them to my Facebook Profile. As soon as I figure out how to post them here I will do it. For now you can view them by going to www.youtube.com/simplytim74. Look for "He saw, She saw". There are a few of them.

Summer is here in Northeast Ohio. Grab a book and catch some sun...

No comments:

Post a Comment