Saturday, April 17, 2010

Paying Tribute

Book review of “Lit” by Mary Karr


I have a Facebook friend who is a poet. I will call her Saadia. I have never met her in the “real world”, but I trust her opinion. We enjoy a few of the same authors. A few months ago she recommended a memoir to me. The book “Lit”, by Mary Karr. Saadia posted that I must read this book. And you all know how much I love a good book.

Turns out that Mary Karr is a poet. Saadia is a poet. I knew I was going to have to find this book and read it. So off to my friendly neighborhood library I went. Reserved it and waited only a day for it to arrive.

I must say, I had a little trouble getting into it at first. I knew I needed to give it a chance. I usually cruise through books quickly, but this was a memoir, someone’s life, so I gave it some respect.

“Lit” is actually Karr’s third memoir. She has a lot to say. She is funny and honest. All kidding aside, it is a very serious subject. It is about Mary’s road to sobriety and surrendering to a higher power. All this thru motherhood and coming to terms with her own childhood. Mary Karr is a tough Texan. I love her. And by the end of this book I could feel myself crashing as I looked back at the last 10 years of my life. Becoming a mother. Getting divorced. Getting remarried. Burying my mother. For the record, 10 is just a number, I think anyone could look back and be overwhelmed as they try to examine a period of their life and take it all in…

Every chapter has a title and a quote from literature. I loved this. A memoir written by a poet, lends a different level of depth. She truly has a gift and I am so glad she shared…

Over the years I have read a few books about performers who were party animals. Brilliant actors who partied and drank themselves thru their “mundane” life off the stage. These stories are interesting but I cannot read too many of them. Curiosity is not enough… Mary’s story was different. As I said, it took me a while to get into this book. I had to try to be loyal to Saadia’s recommendation, I had to keep reading the book and get attached to it. I did. I was searching for empathy, not just reading out of curiosity. Mary became a mother. I found my empathy…

Motherhood came to me when I was 35. I am lucky to have two wonderful daughters. They truly changed my life and I know they are a gift from God. They are still young enough for me to remember accurately what new motherhood was like…

“Lit” really becomes an excellent book when you are in her journey and struggle thru recovery. It seems, and I have heard this from a few alcoholics, that the “not drinking” part is not difficult. It is the struggle to find meaning in their life without it that is difficult. Staying on that path. Asking for help and trusting in a higher power. Surrendering.

Mary’s retelling of this period in her life is so poignant. It really moved me. Life goes on while you struggle. Parents age. Relationships waver. There is never enough money….She recalls many people that influenced and helped her. And she began living the life she always wanted.

I want to thank Mary Karr for this book. She is an honest and brave woman. Reading this book also me made look back and recognize what it takes to try to live the life you have always wanted.

I also want to thank Saadia for her passionate recommendation. You can find Saadia and her poetry at www.SaadiaOnline.com .

1 comment:

  1. Donna, I am so happy you liked the book and thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete